While the spring season signifies renewal and growth, it also brings along a familiar challenge for dog owners – shedding. Spring shedding can turn your once-pristine home into a furry wonderland, but fear not, for this article will guide you through the process of deshedding your canine companion, helping them maintain a healthy coat and minimising the impact on your living space.
Understanding Spring Shedding
Spring shedding is a natural phenomenon that occurs in many dog breeds as the days lengthen and the temperatures rise. This process, also known as "blowing coat," is a response to the changing light and temperature conditions that trigger a dog's body to shed its winter coat in favour of a lighter, cooler summer coat. Breeds that have double coats, like Huskies, Golden Retrievers, and German Shepherds, tend to shed more profusely during this time.
Importance of Deshedding
Regular deshedding not only helps keep your home cleaner but also plays a crucial role in maintaining your dog's overall health and comfort. When excess fur is allowed to accumulate in the coat, it can lead to matting, skin issues, and even overheating during warmer months. By incorporating a deshedding routine into your dog's care, you're promoting healthy skin, preventing potential discomfort, and fostering a stronger bond between you and your four-legged friend.
- Regular Brushing: The cornerstone of any successful deshedding routine is regular brushing. Invest in high-quality brushes designed for shedding dogs. Tools like deshedding brushes, slicker brushes, and grooming gloves can effectively remove loose fur and prevent it from settling around your home.
- Bathing and Conditioning: Bathing during shedding season can help loosen dead fur. Use a natural shampoo and conditioner, that works for deshedding coats like smith&burton Nourishing Range of shampoo and conditioner. It will help maintain the natural oils in your dog's skin and coat and help loosen all the dead hair, and make brushing out a breeze. Be sure to rinse thoroughly to prevent any residue that might cause skin irritation.
- Healthy Diet: Nutrition plays a vital role in your dog's coat health. A balanced diet rich in essential fatty acids, vitamins, and minerals can contribute to a shiny, healthy coat that sheds less. Consult your veterinarian for dietary recommendations tailored to your dog's specific needs.
- Professional Grooming: For some breeds, professional grooming can be a game-changer. Professional groomers have the expertise to effectively remove excess fur and prevent matting.
- Supplements: Consult your veterinarian about incorporating omega-3 fatty acid supplements into your dog's diet. These supplements can improve coat health and reduce shedding.
Creating a Deshedding Routine
Frequency: During peak shedding season, aim to brush your dog at least two to three times a week, or more. As shedding slows down, you can transition to a weekly routine.
Patience: Be gentle while brushing, especially if your dog has a thick undercoat. Avoid tugging or causing discomfort, as this could lead to a negative association with grooming. We recommend using a detangler or spray to help such as smith&burton Detangler Spray & Leave-in Conditioner or smith&burton Colognes which are coat conditioners and finishing sprays making them ideal to use pre-brushing.
Positive Reinforcement: Make the grooming experience positive by offering treats, praise, and affection. This will help your dog associate deshedding sessions with a rewarding experience.
Professionals: If in doubt visit a professional groomer who will work wonders on the coat, and don’t be afraid to ask them for help to show you how to brush the coat to keep on top on the deshedding throughout the seasons.
Spring shedding may be a perennial challenge for dog owners, but with the right approach and techniques, it can be managed effectively. Embrace the season of renewal by establishing a regular deshedding routine that not only keeps your dog's coat healthy and comfortable but also strengthens the bond between you and your dog. By understanding the importance of deshedding and implementing the appropriate techniques, you're ensuring that both you and your dog can fully enjoy the beauty and vibrancy of spring.
Discover smith&burton’s Nourishing Range of shampoos, conditioners and colognes - the professional groomers natural choice for deshedding here.